Haldol ® is a medicine for use in certain mental disorders and belongs to the group of drugs of neuroleptics.
The following areas of application have Haldol ® :
- mental illnesses with the symptoms delusions, hallucinations, thought disorders and ego disorders (acute and chronic schizophrenic syndromes)
- mental illness due to an organic condition (organic psychosis)
- Conditions of morbidly elevated mood and drive (acute manic syndromes)
- acute mental-physical (psychomotor) states of excitement
Apart from the above-mentioned original indications, Haldol ® is also indicated for the treatment of pathological muscle twitches (tic disorders, eg Gilles de la Tourette syndrome) and vomiting when all other treatment options have been exhausted.
Haldol ® may not be used if
- hypersensitivity / allergy to haloperidol or butyrophenones, as well as other ingredients of the drug Haldol ® exist.
- if Parkinson's disease is present.
- if a malignant neuroleptic syndrome has already occurred in the past after haloperidol has been used.
- in children under 3 years.
Possible side effects of taking Haldol ® are:
- Reduction of white blood cells, lack of certain white blood cells, reduction of all blood cells, reduction of platelets, reduction of certain white blood cells, increase in certain blood cells
- Hypersensitivity, hypersensitivity reactions
- increased blood level of the antidiuretic hormone, increased prolactin blood level
- low blood sugar level
- Restlessness, insomnia, psychotic disorder, depression, confusion, decreased sexual sensation, loss of sexual sensation, restlessness
- Movement disorders (convulsions, convulsions), tremor, increased muscle tone, muscle tone disturbance, drowsiness, slowed movements, dizziness, excessive urge to move, movement disorder, sedentary lifestyle, late dyskinesia, headache, motor dysfunction, involuntary muscle contractions, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, eye tremors, Parkinson's disease similar disorders, sedation
- Visual disturbances, block cramps, blurred vision
- Cardiac arrhythmias, tachycardia
- Drop in blood pressure, blood clots in the veins
- Shortness of breath, bronchial spasm, cramping spits, fluid accumulation on the larynx
- Constipation, dry mouth, increased salivation, vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, loss of appetite, heartburn, disorders in the digestive tract, life-threatening intestinal paralysis
- abnormal liver function test, hepatitis, jaundice, acute liver failure, biliary drainage disorder
- Skin rash, photosensitivity reaction, hives, itching, increased sweating, allergic skin reaction, certain inflammation of the vein, dermatitis with peeling of the upper layer of the skin
- Decay of skeletal muscle cells, jaw clamp, torticollis, muscle stiffness, muscle spasms, muscle twitching
- urinary retention
- Erectile dysfunction, overly prolonged erection, male breast enlargement, menstruation or absence, chest discomfort, chest pain, breast secretion, sexual disorder, menstrual cramps
- Fluid accumulation, increased / decreased body temperature, gear uncertainty
- Weight gain / weight loss
- Blurred vision, stuffy nose, increased intraocular pressure, urinary disorders
- Hair loss, disturbance of the breathing rhythm, pneumonia, change of cornea and lenses of the eyes
Special features of children and adolescents
Children develop movement disorders at a low dose of Haldol ®, which is why extreme caution is required in children under the age of 12 during treatment. Long-term studies are currently lacking, which is why the indication should be taken very carefully before a child is treated with Haldol ® .
pregnancy and breast feeding period
As far as possible, it should be avoided to become pregnant while taking Haldol ® and therefore to be carefully prevented. Before the start of treatment, a pregnancy test is recommended to exclude pregnancy.
Animal studies have shown that teroperidol (Haldol ® ) has been found to be harmful to fertility, but there are currently insufficient data in humans. Haldol ® passes into breast milk during breastfeeding, which is why breast-feeding should not be stopped during treatment with Haldol ® .
problems while learning drug cosmetics and wellness surgery online ophthalmology